Saturday, August 6, 2011

Magic Cookie Bars

My best friend taught me how to make these when we were living together in SF. I made them when I went to my boyfriend (now fiance's) house for the holidays. They are great for the holidays but are seriously good for anything.

My bff is also a really good baker. And a pretty good cook, too. Now she eats vegan a lot and she told me about some vegan cupcakes she made. I'll have to get her recipe to share with everyone so they can try a vegan option.

She also has recipes for fruitcake (or Christmas cake.. her family is all from England and she was born there and lives there now so they have some weird stuff haha) and fondant.

Anyway, here is the recipe for the Magic Cookie Bars...

Magic Cookie Bars:

Ingredients - 


1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Tip: Change up the flavor by swapping in different kinds of chocolate chips. Do half white chocolate and half milk chocolate, or all white chocolate. Also, when I make these for the holidays I like to do half with nuts, half without to give people options.


Directions - 

First: Preheat oven to 350.

Fill the bottom of a pan, a 13 x 9 in. pan will make slimmer cookies while a square baker or circular cake pan will make thicker ones, with melted butter. Pour graham cracker crumbs evenly across the bottom. I buy regular graham crackers and crush them in my hands to make the crumbs. Next pour the condensed milk evenly over the graham cracker crumbs. Add an even layer of chocolate chips, then an even layer of coconut flakes. Top with a layer of chopped pecans if desired.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment